We believe that community involvement is not an option anymore but a necessity. Everyone generates waste. That’s understandable. But you can change the amount, the kind and the fate of the waste that you generate by taking simple steps. We can help you figure these out.
If you’re anyone interested in helping us get one step closer to reducing and reusing waste, read on…
Broadly, this is what we work towards:
Zero Garbage Area: Vatavaran’s model of a people-friendly area that could generate employment without requiring high investment. This Zero Garbage Area will be labor intensive and will not necessitate any heavy equipment. Vatavaran also provides the involved people with information about easy and effective solid waste management.
Cleaning Brigades: Vatavaran sets up cleaning, waste segregation and recycling facilities for you. We train rag pickers, we train you, we set up cool orange rickshaws that collect your waste, we make sure that you can breathe around ‘dhalaos’ (the dirty, infection breeding, local dump), we can make sure that your kids have less chances of infection when they play in the park in the evening, and you enjoy the satisfaction that you made all that happen!
Vatavaran understands that merely bringing in newer and more expensive technology cannot control the garbage problem. We don’t take our job lightly. We understand you, your needs, your waste (kind, amount, source, your disposal methods) and study them intensely before recommending changes and solutions to suit the specific needs of your home or institution.
This also makes our work model applicable to homes, localities, schools, institutes, corporates, and absolutely anyone interested. We have already worked by setting up many 'Cleaning Brigades' in low, middle and high-income residential localities. These Cleaning Brigades have also been introduced in educational and shopping sectors as well as resettlement colonies, to name a few. Join this list below!
We’re listing here some of our works in the field of SWM:
- Jawaharlal Nehru University is now a Zero Garbage Area – we did that!
- We are handling the waste and house keeping at University of Delhi, South Campus and eight departments of University of Delhi, North Campus.
Has handed over Waste Management Schemes (WMSs) to the respective Resident Welfare Associations in
- Asian Games Village,
- 10 sectors of VasantKunj,
- SFS Triveni Sheikh Sarai,
- Mahipalpur Complex,
- Sunder Nagar,
- Pitampura, and
- Sector 15A Noida.
It has also handed over:
- the WMSs of NDSE Part II market to Market Welfare Asscociation,
- that of Defence Services Enclave and Engineer's Mess to Army Personnel and
- the Tihar Waste to Wealth Scheme to its inmates.
- the WMS of a resettlement colony, Vikas Nagar, to the NGO INDCARE and
- WMS of a vendor's market to Manushi, an NGO
Vatavaran has trained 11 Delhi based NGOsin waste management, monitoring plastics, metals, glass, rubber etc. –
- Development Alternatives,
- Concern India,
- Inner wheel
We have also trained four NGOs from other parts of the country
- Eco-Friends Kanpur,
- VasavyaMahilaMandali, Andhra Pradesh,
- Darjeeling Earth Group and
- Clean Ahmedabad
Vatavaran has helped 6 collegesand many schoolsset up paper, plastic or waste management programs
- Miranda House
- St. Stephens
- Kamala Nehru
Some of the schools
- Father Angus
- Vasant Valley
- Blue Bells
- Harvard Academy
- DAV ShresthVihar
- The colleges:
- Vatavaran's Report on 'Plastics in our Lives' led to banning of production, distribution and use of plastic bags that are not reusable.
- In 1996, a thriving hospital waste market existed behind Safdurjung Hospital, New Delhi; our exposure led to its closing and hospital waste management rules were laid down by the Supreme court.